Blogger Slideshow

Friday, August 19, 2011

Feeling Like a Winner in Defeat

Well, I lost even though I lost, so I won.


Let me explain.


I lost the weight-loss contest, even though I lost 23 pounds, but I still won because I'm 23 pounds lighter and have made a lifestyle change which will reap huge benefits; much more than the $500 I lost out on in this contest. Of course I must admit that I would feel like even MORE of a winner if I had lost the 23 pounds AND won the $500, but out of the two I got the one that is most important. Plus, I feel great because I made him work for it.


When we first started the contest, James (real name) didn't seem to take it too seriously and decided he was "just going to eat smaller meals". I was happy with that attitude, because I had completely revamped my entire lifestyle from top to bottom and felt like the money was mine to win. After that first weigh-in a week later in which I lost 8 pounds and he lost 3, I think he realized he had to get serious. James is a great guy, and we both agreed that no matter who won, we would both be winners. He really worked hard after that, and after my very unfortunately-timed vacation right in the middle of the contest, I could see the difference in his face and body. The lines from his shoulders to his feet just seemed to be more... straight. His face didn't seem to take up as much space. I was seeing all the things in him that I thought Hillary (my fiance) was just saying to me for encouragement. This made me feel really happy for him, and it also made me really feel like maybe it was working for me as well.


James lost 24 pounds- one MORE than me. If I lost to him, I figured it would be by percentage (he started lower than me so I would actually have to lose more to beat him), but no he flat-out beat me. I had to congratulate him. I was really proud of him, and he was really proud of me too. If you had asked me a month ago "Hey, how would you feel about being 23 pounds lighter in a month?" I would have have jumped at the opportunity, money or no money. This is why I feel like a winner. The change has been made. I'm doing things I thought were impossible like driving by fast food restaurants and burger joints without getting cravings and walking 2-3 miles per day. The weight will continue to come off. I'm a winner now and I will be a winner 30 days from now, and 60 days from now, and 1 year from now. Hell, I'll be a winner 12 days from now when I go back to school and can sit in a desk normally!


So congratulations to my friend James, who started as an opponent in a contest but will hopefully be a partner in continuing to get healthier. Congratulations to myself for allowing myself to feel like a winner in defeat, and congratulations to everyone else out there who got healthier over the last month! Let's keep it going!

1 comment:

  1. You mention defeat pretty often. 23 pounds is a victory. You shouldn't just "feel" like a winner, because you are every bit the winner James is this month.

    Keep up the good work Jon. Stay dedicated, enjoy the new lifestyle, and enjoy the new look.

    -Tim (Californication08)

    ReplyDelete